Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lucy and the Snake - a poem



Lucy And The Snake 

by Susan Paczek
 
There was a girl named Lucy 
She had never seen a snake 
So she pitied one who said he
Found that friends were hard to make

“I don’t know why no one likes me” 
He sniffed, lying there in a coil 
Lucy said “People can be silly” 
As she lifted him from the soil 

She draped him over her shoulders 
Though she was wearing a boa 
People greeted them with cold stares 
And whispered “Look! A snake, ooh ah!”

Her friends said “What are you doing!?” 
“Snakes are bad news, you'll get bitten”
She said “But I find his rattle soothing.
Just look in his eyes, you'll be smitten”

Lucy and the snake hung out a lot 
Til one day on a café’s deck 
The snake was startled by a gunshot 
And pumped venom into Lucy’s neck

The snake looked on coldly as Lucy went gray 
Thinking, "I am what I am, I cannot help it" 
And said to the crowd as he slithered away 
 “If you play with snakes expect to get bit”

No comments:

Post a Comment