Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Turtle - a poem



The Turtle 

by Susan Paczek 

Last night I dreamt that we were sitting out at a picnic table
When I saw a turtle walk towards us as fast as he was able

He was only small, he didn’t look very old
His shell was turquoise-blue, his stomach shiny-gold

To reach the sea there was a hill that he kept trying to climb
But he would get near the top and flip over backwards every time

“Tsk” I said and picked him up to carry him to the sea
But then I heard a loud voice and it said this to me:

“If you want to help that turtle then you have to put him down
If you carry him his legs will be so weak that he will drown”

So we sat and cheered him on until the night sky filled with bats
We fed him salad for supper and we sheltered him from cats

In the morning he met his challenge with renewed energy
He crested the hill at last and joined his friends out in the sea


Earthenware Turtles by Susan Paczek

No comments:

Post a Comment